TN NAFTA Professionals Visa

TN NAFTA Professionals Visa
The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada and Mexico. The TN non-immigrant classification (TN NAFTA Professionals Visa) permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level.

Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status, if:

  1. You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico
  2. Your profession qualifies under the regulations
  3. The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional
  4. You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment – see documentation required below)
  5. You have the qualifications of the profession

Eligibility Criteria for Mexican Citizens

If you are a Mexican citizen, then you are not required to file a petition with USCIS. However, you are required to obtain a visa to enter the United States as a TN nonimmigrant. You should apply for a TN visa directly at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico. See the Department of State link to the right “Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker.”

TN NAFTA Professionals Visa

Once you are approved for a TN NAFTA Professionals Visa, you may apply for admission at a United States port-of-entry. If you are eligible following inspection by a CBP Officer, then you will be admitted as a TN non-immigrant. Form I-94, Arrival/ Departure Record, will be evidence of your admission.

If you have any questions or need help in the application process, please call Ali Golchin Immigration and Accident Attorney at 619-827-8777 for assistance with this program. Or, contact us using this online form.